We are looking to expand our team of engineers working on technologies important to modern Linux systems. We focus on the projects that run the world's apps and infrastructure. This has, for example, recently meant working on systemd, the Linux kernel, rkt, and Kubernetes.
If you like the idea of working on a wide range of foundational Linux technologies and joining a supportive team that shares this passion, we’d like to hear from you.
While we mostly work in user-space, the ideal candidate is comfortable spanning the divide between user and kernel-space.
Joining Kinvolk means you’ll be involved in open-source communities, and not only on the technology side. Kinvolk is active in organizing community events and we’d like you to be a part of those.
To get a good idea of what we do, and what you’d be doing at Kinvolk, just take a look. We work in the open and encourage you to browse our github activity. This will show you what we do and how we go about it.
Time and location
This is a full-time position, based in Berlin. If you’re not in Berlin, we may be able to help you get here.
In cases where the applicant has significant experience doing so, we will consider remote work.
- Work to improve open-source technologies and client projects built on top of those technologies
- Interface with clients and advise on the best use of open source technologies
- Be a liaison between the client and upstream projects with the goal of getting changes upstreamed
- Stay current on the Linux technology landscape
- Work closely with the rest of the Kinvolk team; communicating across client projects
- Represent Kinvolk at community events
Skills and experience
People at all experience levels are encouraged to apply. We welcome the opportunity to allow experienced individuals to follow their passion, and those with less experience to develop skills and realize their potential. We believe a team with varied skills and experience creates that best opportunity for everyone to share their knowledge and learn from each other.
To get the job done, you’re going to need these.
- Knowledge of the Linux kernel API
- Strong in C/C++
- Experience working on active open-source projects
- Ability to work independently
- Good at communicating technical issues and requirements
- Good written and spoken English
If you have these skills, awesome! If not, expect to add these while at Kinvolk.
- Commits to system-level Linux projects: Linux, systemd, etc.
- Experience with programming languages like Go, Rust, Erlang, etc.
- Knowledge of container and process isolation technologies
- Good networking know-how
- Speaking German could be useful
- Comfortable giving talks at conferences
What we offer
We’re always looking for ways to make Kinvolk a friendly and motivating work environment. Here are some of the things we already offer.
- Work exclusively on Linux technologies
- Yearly profit sharing program
- Located in Berlin Germany, one of the most exciting cities in Europe
- Work closely with open-source communities
- Lunch paid once/twice weekly
- Assistance with public transport ticket and home Internet bill
- Company mobile phone plan
- German language classes 2 times weekly, if needed
- Generous hardware allowance for laptop, monitor, phone and/or tablet of your choice
- Represent Kinvolk at conferences across Europe
- Free drinks and snacks in the office
- Need a book? We’ll order it for you and add it to our tech bookshelf
- Subscription to LWN
If you think Kinvolk would be a good fit, please send your CV to [email protected]. You should hear back from us within a few days.